Home > Change Location > How to Change Location with VPN | 6 Best Free VPNs in 2022
July 1, 2021 (Updated: October 17, 2022)
3999 views , 5 min read
How does VPN location changer work? Choose one from the given free VPN options and change your location. Also, Check the comparison list of various VPN location changers and risks associated with free VPN.
It's not less than a blessing to have tools that allow you to change the location with security, online privacy, and freedom. A growing number of people use VPNs when they browse through the Internet.
- What Can VPN Location Changer Do for you
- When to Use VPN
- How Does VPN Location Changer Work
- 6 Best Free VPN Location Changers [Hot]
- Comparison of VPN Location Changers
- Free VPN Risk Notification
Do you also want to bypass geo-blocking and hide your real IP address?
Let's get started.
What Can VPN Location Changer Do for you
For whatever reason you change your IP location, VPN is one of the best ways to stay safe and private while online. Whether it is to watch foreign Netflix catalogues or stream foreign sport, VPN IP address changer will do all for you.
This secure connection forms the basis for a lot of benefits for its users:
- It helps you maintain your anonymous identity, and your IP address will not be visible to anyone
- Your device will be less vulnerable to usual spoofing and will be safe from hackers and cybercriminals
- With more freedom, you will have access to content that is regionally restricted and some best money saving bargains usually reserved for some countries only
When to Use VPN
You can use VPN for various important tasks. Some of them are:
1 To Access Region Restricted Streaming Service
Streaming services provide different content in different regions. With a fake location using a VPN, you can access shows, movies and other content that is not available in your country.
2 To Watch Sporting Events
Sports events are not shown worldwide. If you want to watch them, a VPN location changer will help you access the content without spending a lot of money.
3 To Compare the Prices of Products
Various online stores offer different prices to visitors from other countries. VPN country changes give you access to check and compare the prices from different countries.
4 To Hide Identity from Trackers
If you don't want any online service to track your address, you can use an IP location changer.
5 To Practice Freedom of Speech
If you are conscious of working on something sensitive and want to practice your freedom of speech without breach of your location, a VPN IP address changer can help you out.
How Does VPN Location Changer Work
VPN location changer works by changing your apparent location and sending your data traffic via another server.
- Usually, when you use the internet, your device continuously exchanges data with other parties, hovering over the web. If you use VPN, it creates a safe connection between you and the internet. All the data traffic is sent through an encrypted secure virtual tunnel to the external server, i-e, the VPN server. From the external server, your data is then sent to its destination.
- VPN allows the users to select the server anywhere in the world where VPN services have servers. It can be a VPN country changer or, in some cases, only a VPN city changer. For instance, Express VPN has its servers in 94 countries.
- Once you connect to a server, the IP location changer will form an encrypted virtual tunnel to securely pass all your device's data. A virtual tunnel will decrypt the data and send it to the final destination. Your original IP address will be hidden and will be shown as that of the selected server. You can also change the location whenever you want and still use the app.
6 Best Free VPN Location Changers
iRocketVPN is a 100% privicy and security VPN for Windows PC. It provides a fast and stable internet connection wherever you are. It secures your internet connection and doesn’t track your any data. Moreover, its easy-use interface is also very popular. Free download iRocketVPN now.
- Access the internet safely and privately.
- Military-grade encryption keeps your identity private.
- Doesn't record your browse history and activities.
- Doesn't track your real IP address.
- Very fast speed.
How to use it:
- Download and open the iRocketVPN, select recommended network node.
- Sign up and log in a VPN account, then tap the "Quick Connect" button.
- Now, you have connected internet successfully and your real IP address has been encryped. You can preview the websites,pictures and videos you want to visit.
Express VPN is a highly trusted VPN provider that tops the list of best VPNs. It offers top-tier security with military-grade 256-bit encryption to scramble your data. In addition, the automatic kill switch (network lock) protects the device even when VPN unexpectedly disconnects.
- Connects up to 5 devices simultaneously
- 3,000 servers in 94 countries to access geo-blocked sites
- Can unblock Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer and Vudu
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, Apple TV, and more
How to use it:
- Go to the ExpressVPN account dashboard and enter your Express VPN credentials to Sign In.
- Enter the authentication code sent to your email and download it.
- Keep the browser window open. You will require the activation code for the setup next.
- Double-click the downloaded file on your computer and install the app.
- After installing, click Sign In and paste your activation code.
- Select your preferences to continue.
- Now click the start button to connect to a VPN server location. By default, ExpressVPN will suggest the location for an optimal experience for you.
- After the connected message appear on the app screen, begin surfing.
PrivadoVPN is one of the best free VPNs currently available. Not only does it offer AES-256-bit, but you get 10GB of monthly data at no cost, and more global server options than most other free VPNs. They keep no logs of your activity and include a number of advanced features like a kill switch, split tunneling, and access to WireGuard.
- Connects up to 10 devices simultaneously.
- Free account option with 10GB of data every month and 12 servers.
- Strict no-logs policy.
- AES 256-bit encryption.
- Kill switch to safeguard online activity.
- Can unblock Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer and more.
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV Stick, and Android TV.
- Split Tunneling (on Windows and Android).
- Streaming and Torrenting available on free account.
How to Use It?
- Login to the PrivadoVPN admin dashboard on the PrivadoVPN home page with your credentials.
- Download the PrivadoVPN app for your device and install it.
- After installing, login to the PrivadoVPN app 3.with your email address, the username you were sent, and your password.
- Choose your location from the dropdown menu, then click or press the keyhole icon to connect.
- After the keyhole icon turns green, you are secured and can use the Internet freely.
4 Proton VPN
Proton VPN is a free VPN location changer with unlimited data to surf the web and download. With unlimited data, it doesn't compromise on its security features and ensures safe internet browsing. Users prefer it because it's free, easy to use and doesn't have annoying ads.
Proton VPN Features
- Unlimited data.
- Strict no-logs policy.
- AES 256-bit encryption.
- Kill switch to safeguard online activity.
- 3 free server locations and 1 device connection.
- Can unblock: YouTube, Spotify, Facebook, Instagram, Kodi.
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, and routers.
How to Use It?
- Download Proton VPN and install it. Once installed, a shortcut will form.
- Open the shortcut to launch the application and enter your Proton VPN credentials to sign in.
- Once signed in, the UI of the VPN will appear for easy navigation and connection.
- Click on "Quick Connect" to connect with the closest server for optimal performance.
- After connecting, a list of countries will appear on the screen.
- Find the VPN server from the county list to connect manually.
5 Surfshark VPN
Surfshark VPN is one of the best free VPN overall. However, the free trial lasts only for a month. Nevertheless, it doesn't limit its services during the trial period and has its advantages in terms of servers, data, or speed limits.
Surfshark VPN Features
- AES-256 encryption.
- Five Eyes non-member.
- Access to Torrent and Netflix.
- Split tunnelling.
How to use it?
- Go to this page and download the Surfshark.
- After downloading the file, locate the file and double click it.
- Click "yes" when the computer asks to make changes to the device.
- When the installation completes, the app will start automatically within few seconds.
- Log in with your credentials and enter the authentication code.
- Now tap Connect to connect with the fastest VPN server available.
- To manually choose the location, open the Locations tab to find the locations and click your preferred location to connect with it.
6 Hotspot Shield VPN
It is the 6th best free VPN location changer for Windows and Mac users.
Hotspot Shield VPN refreshes data allowance every 24 hours and gives 500 MB of bandwidth to be used every day, making 15 GB in a month. Additionally, hotspot shield post ads only in their mobile apps and not on Windows and Mac.
Hotspot Shield VPN Features
- Military-grade encryption.
- Automatic kill switch.
- 1 free server and 5 simultaneous device connections.
- Can unblock YouTube, Spotify, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, iOS.
How to use it?
Here is the stepwise guide on installing Hotspot Shield VPN on windows:
- To download Hotspot Shield.
- A setup file will be downloaded automatically onto your computer.
- Now install Hotspot Shield by double-clicking the file.
- Click Finish when it's installed, and the main page will appear.
- You have to close your browser for Hotspot Shield to work properly for the first time.
- Click the light-blue power icon in the middle of the window to turn on Hotspot Shield for your current wireless connection and fake your IP address.
- To change your IP address's country, click the "Browsing from" drop-down box and choose a new country in the drop-down menu. This will change your IP address location to a different country.
Comparison of VPN Location Changers
Hotspot Shield VPN
Windows.(other devices will be compatible soon)
Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, Apple TV, and more
Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Fire TV Stick, Android TV
Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux
|Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS|| |
iOS, Android, MacOS, Windows, Linux, Fire TV Stick apps, Xbox
Connection Speed Limits
No speed limit
No speed limit
No speed limit
No speed limit, but prioritizes premium users
Data Usage Limit
10GB Free data every month
500 MB, every day, refreshes every 24 hours
3 locations (USA, Netherlands, and Japan)
US-based server location only
Yes (Windows and Android clients only)
Free VPN Risk Notification
Every VPN is not safe. VPNs are complicated software, and companies need revenue to keep them up to date. In the case of free VPNs, they use hidden tools and tricks to earn revenue. So, you think you are using a free VPN, but actually, you are paying the price in some other way.
Some of their risks are:
- VPNs are supposed to protect you from hackers, but some VPNs may contain malware which can be the biggest security risks.
- Several free VPNs embed third-party trackers in their software to collect information about your online activity so that advertisers can better target you with ads.
- Using free VPN also comes at the expense of limiting the amount of data usage.
- The slowdown of the Internet is another issue with some poor-quality VPNs. This is because they prioritize their paid subscribers over those using free versions.
VPN is a great tool to hide your location and do some essential tasks that are otherwise impossible for you. There are some great free VPN tools with a free trial period which you can use to evaluate their performance.If you are satisfied with VPN performance in the trial period, we recommend you jump to its premium version and keep yourself safe from unauthorized data breaches and performance hindrances.
(Click to rate this post)
Generally rated 4.9 (256 participated)
You have already rated this article, please do not repeat scoring!
How can I fake my location with VPN? ›
- First, sign up with a VPN provider – we particularly recommend NordVPN. ...
- Next, download and install the appropriate VPN app for your device. ...
- Open your VPN app (or browser extension) and connect to a server in the country from which you want to browse.
Reboot and try again. If the IP address is from another country, but not the one you selected, your VPN may be at fault. Close and restart your client, connect to several servers and verify their location with the iplocation.net (opens in new tab) site. Report any variations to your VPN.What is the best VPN to change location? ›
- Express VPN, 94 countries.
- CyberGhost, 90 countries.
- VPNArea, 65 countries.
- Windscribe VPN, 61 countries.
- NordVPN, 59 countries.
- KeepSolid VPN Unlimited, 57 countries.
- Surfshark VPN, 55 countries.
If you're using a trustworthy VPN service, your browsing activities become illegible to snoopers. However, this doesn't mean a VPN user is entirely untraceable online. Internet service providers (ISPs), websites, and even governments can determine whether you're using a VPN.Why won't VPN change my IP address? ›
If the VPN client software is unable to update the routing table then even although there is an active connection to the VPN server (green shield), traffic will NOT be routed through it and you will see your own IP on geolocation websites.Can I change my IP address to a specific location? ›
If you want to boost security or avoid content blocks, change your IP address with a VPN (virtual private network). With a VPN, you can connect to servers based in specific countries, like United States VPN servers. VPNs hide your location by making it appear like you're from the selected server's location.Is VPN 100% free? ›
Most VPN providers require a monthly fee if you want to use their secure server network. However, there are some VPN providers that offer a connection for free.How do I VPN to another country? ›
Most VPNs offer multiple connections, so you download it onto all your devices and use them at the same time if you so wish. Once the app is downloaded, open it and then connect to a VPN server located in the country you want websites to think you are in. Wait a few moments for the VPN to connect.Can I VPN a specific city? ›
Your VPN app lets you select a server anywhere in the world where your VPN service has servers. NordVPN, for example, has servers in 60 different countries (in some, you can also select the city).Does VPN change IP location? ›
A VPN replaces your actual IP address to make it look like you've connected to the internet from a different location: the physical location of the VPN server, rather than your real location. This is just one reason why so many people use VPNs.
How do I change my location? ›
- Open your phone's Settings app.
- Tap Security & Location. Location. ...
- Tap Mode.
- Select a mode:
Use a VPN to change your location in Firefox or Chrome
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) works by encrypting your internet traffic and tunneling it through an intermediary server.
Here's how you can fake your GPS location on an Android device: Head over to Google's Play store > Fake GPS Location – GPS Joystick. Once installed, launch the app and tap the 'Set Location' option. Open the map to select the fake location of your choice via the help of the Latitude and Longitude line in GPS Joystick.Does VPN change your location on Google Maps? ›
If you surf the internet while connected to your Google account, it can trace your online activities back to you. Since a VPN changes your virtual location, it might look like you're accessing the websites from a different region, but Google will still be able to determine it's you.Is there an app to fake your location? ›
Android Location Spoofing
One app that doesn't need your phone to be rooted—so long as you're using Android 6.0 or newer—is called FakeGPS Free, and it's really easy to use it to fake your Android phone location.
Using apps and services that rely on GPS: VPNs can fool apps that use IP addresses to establish their users' locations, but not apps that use GPS, such as Find my iPhone, Apple Maps, Waze, and Pokemon Go. For this kind of app, you'll need GPS changing software.